Social media has come a long way in its relatively short existence. HubSpot recently published its “6 Ways Social Media Marketing is Changing (For the Better)” and I just couldn’t help but think how this channel has evolved from its role in facilitating personal connections – those I’ve made with long lost elementary school buddies from down the street – to a credible way to connect with customers and prospects nationally and globally.
So, here are HubSpot’s top 6 trends, and the ways I see them impacting student enrollment marketing:
- Social Media is gaining weight as a sales tool – colleges and universities that create a social presence can make prospective students feel as if they are part of the school community, even before they enroll, which also often makes them want to enroll.
- Social Media is becoming less of a side game – students are out there looking for your school on social sites, sometimes as much as they are looking for your own website.
- Companies are looking beyond engagement at ROI metrics – beyond “clicks” and “likes,” you can track enrollment conversions that impact your bottom line.
- Social search is getting real – prospective and current students can share your content and drive more people to you.
- Visual- and Discovery-Based Search Is Continuing to Grow – visual images can be a great way to give prospects a glimpse into student life, both for your online and on-ground campus.
- Mobile Is Becoming the Primary Way to Access Social Media – more of your prospective students are likely using mobile devices to research options and connect with schools – make sure your site(s) are mobile friendly.
Its reach is dynamic, its ability to drive measurable results is impressive, and the way it allows you to get to know your customers on a higher level is incredible. We believe social channels are critical in creating and maintaining connections with your prospective students.