This course reviews the fundamentals of general learning theory and how it can be applied in practice to online design and instruction.
About This Course
Estimated Length: 5 hours
Access Time: 90 days
HRCI Credits: 5
CEU Credits: 0.5
Cost: $79 (Multi-seat discounts available)
Who should take this course?
This certification course will be valuable to any higher education professional responsible for the creation, overview, or design of online learning content, in particular, faculty, staff, and administrators.
What does the course cover?
Online students have high expectations for their learning experiences. While many institutions try to develop online coursework as a way to reduce cost and control the content of the training, they often disregard the complexities of the technology needed to deliver content.
This course introduces the major models, tools, and techniques for creating and delivering online learning. It also reviews the fundamentals of general learning theory and how it can be applied in practice to online design and instruction.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe key trends in online learning
- Differentiate between the constructivist and transmission models of learning
- Devise techniques for active learning
- Identify the steps common to course development processes and their roles in creating effective learning
- Explain how learning objectives may be used to ensure that a course is meeting the need it was designed for
- Identify the condition, performance, and qualification components of measurable learning objectives
- Describe Bloom’s Taxonomy and explain its application in instructional design
- Describe the use of blended learning
- Explain the benefits of narrative, adaptive, peer, and social learning
- Discuss the instructional design needs specific to adult learners
- Describe how to employ Whole-Part-Whole learning techniques
- Recognize how worked examples advance learning
- Describe instructional scaffolding and explain its use
- Explain the 5E Learning Model
- Explore the need for variety in online learning
- Identify ways to incorporate video in online learning
- Describe how to measure for success in online learning
A PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN
How will I learn?
This is a self-paced course which will take about 5 hours to complete. This online course is mobile friendly, and you will learn via:
- Interactive exercises
- Games and flashcards
- Real-world case studies
- Selected readings
- Note: you will not be required to purchase additional materials to complete this course.
You will also have access to the “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
What will I earn from the course?
After completion of this course, you will have earned 5 HRCI credits and 0.5 CEU credits, and will be awarded with a badge.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
You may request a refund up to 5 days from the purchase date. The registration fee will only be refunded if less than 10% of each course in the certificate has been completed. Completion percentage can be viewed on the Course Progress page from within the course.