This course introduces the major techniques and strategies for integrating narrative learning into an educational curriculum.
About This Course
Estimated Length: 5 hours
Access Time: 90 days
HRCI Credits: 5
CEU Credits: 0.5
Cost: $79 (Multi-seat discounts available)
Who should take this course?
This certification course will be valuable to higher education professionals responsible for the delivery or design of online course content.
What does the course cover?
Storytelling and the use of narrative case studies can be a highly effective way to teach. Often, we learn best by doing, and in the context of online learning, “doing” often means utilizing case study and role-playing methods.
This course reviews the major techniques and strategies necessary for integrating narrative learning into online coursework. It also presents different types of narrative learning and identifies the best means to utilize each. Finally, it explores the efficacy of narrative learning and how it can be applied to online design and instruction.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define narrative learning and summarize its core principles
- Identify various types of narrative activities and compare their applications
- Outline the stages of the narrative arc, specifying the purpose of each stage in terms of a story and a narrative activity
- Discuss best practices for narrative learning
- Design a scenario, case study, and simulation
- Interpret the literature surrounding the efficacy of narrative learning
- Critique poorly constructed narrative activities
A PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN
How will I learn?
This is a self-paced course which will take about 5 hours to complete. This online course is mobile friendly, and you will learn via:
- Interactive exercises
- Games and flashcards
- Real-world case studies
- Selected readings
- Note: you will not be required to purchase additional materials to complete this course.
You will also have access to the “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
What will I earn from the course?
After completion of this course, you will have earned 5 HRCI credits and 0.5 CEU credits, and will be awarded with a badge.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
You may request a refund up to 5 days from the purchase date. The registration fee will only be refunded if less than 10% of each course in the certificate has been completed. Completion percentage can be viewed on the Course Progress page from within the course.